Monday, July 18, 2011

Gratuitous Brag #2, or....

How to Undo the Health Benefits of a Triathlon in Five Easy Hours

Every year for Missi's birthday (and now for Mandy's too!), we hang out all day and I make petit pain au chocolate -- chocolate filled croissants for the less snobbish among us. Sometimes they go well, and sometimes they don't, and every year I fiddle a little bit with the recipe trying to get that perfect combination of light, fluffy, buttery deliciousness. This year I failed...and I totally succeeded! Good thing I decided to make two batches at the same time, because the Croissant Muses are fickle, fickle chicks. Here are the results:

Batch Number 1 -- old timey mostly perfected recipe which just did NOT pan out (no pun intended) today. Who knows why?!?
There's nothing really wrong with them, but there's nothing really special about them either. Actually we were fairly pleased with them til the next batch came out. But in comparison, they are just somewhat rich bread with some chocolate bunged inside.

And here's the lovely new recipe I decided to try after reading about it last night and thinking it sounded like it might work well. Perfection (almost)! Look at those fluffy layers. So light and yummy!!! But I did them one better with.....


Good ol' regular beautiful crescent-y croissants. I never thought I would turn away form something filled with a delicious mix of dark and semi-sweet chocolate, but somehow the basic version is just better. Without the flashy chocolate, you can really appreciate the smooth, silky, buttery texture and flavor. Mmmmmm!! It's worth the extra 17 pounds I'll have packed on by tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment