Friday, March 11, 2011

Great Date!

Mike, resident Apple-addict, made a date (not with me, thankfully!) to go stand in line for the new ipad and go to a movie. So Jack and I made a date of our own. It's swim night at the Y, so Jack went with me, hung out in KidsTime with his best buds while I taught my cycling and pilates classes, and then we met up at the pool. After we'd had our fill of splashing (and, turns out, he'd had his fill of pool water), we got changed and headed out for pizza, then back home to eat it (in the living room!! A rare treat -- I hate to eat in the living room. Left over lessons from my mum: avoid eating in the living room and never buy sugary cereals!) We had planned to play the Wii together while eating our pizza and later watch a movie and have popcorn. Well, believe it or not, a full day of school followed by an hour or two in the pool will wear a boy out. He played one race with me on the Wii, and then we snuggled up together to watch Planet 51. About 1/2 an hour in his little head snuggled down onto my shoulder and he was out a few minutes later. I got to carry him off to bed -- which I haven't gotten to do for a year or so since he decided he was a big boy and had outgrown all that stuff.

I just love those times when life finally slows down, there's nowhere to get to and no rules to enforce, no homework to be done, and we just get to chill and hang out together. I used to hold him as a baby and think, I can't bear for him to grow up! Holding that tiny little warm body and rocking, I thought there could be nothing as wonderful as that feeling. And here he is, growing up and changing and turning into a person in front of me, and while I miss that tiny baby to snuggle, dang, I just really really like my boy. Not just love him, I mean, that goes without saying in the mama-grizzly-bear kinda way that you don't know you have in you til you have a kid -- but I just really like him. What a cool kid! I'm glad he's my bud.

Had to add this photo, because it's my favorite.

1 comment: